[Kde-games-devel] kigo

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 26 18:22:02 CET 2009

Inge Wallin wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> For kigo, a better "easy" level of difficulty might be to take the gnugo
>> moves and have a random chance of a: taking the best one, b: taking a
>> suggested move at random, c: taking a totally random move.
>
> I strongly advice against using a random move.  A close game can be totally
> destroyed by just one bad move, and at least my enjoyment of the game would
> disappear if my opponent threw away moves like that.

Perhaps not the 'totally random' option toward the endgame then.
(Actually I was intending that mostly for the opening few moves anyway.)

However I think there is a hole in your expectations. Human players make
mistakes. Sometimes even colossal mistakes in endgame. Why should the
computer be different?

Personally, my enjoyment is lessened by the opponent being 99.999%
predictable. (I've noticed the first move isn't fixed. But after that,
it's not hard to replay identical games.)

Obviously, mistake rate goes down with skill level. Which is why I made
this suggestion w.r.t. *easy*, not hard(er).

It sounds to me that what you dislike is a novice opponent. Well, that
is no conflict with my suggestion; just don't set the AI at easiest.

--
Matthew
Joe: This is a big deal, because now some tiny minority has lobbied for