[Kde-games-devel] Improving theme authoring for kgoldrunner

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:02:35 CET 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Arturo Silva <jasilva28 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Um........
> Okay, don't mind the confusion as that was quite a long read, but are
> you basically looking for more KGoldRunner themes, or just
> brainstorming ideas on how to improve their performance, or both? ^^;

Both.
Actually, more than "more themes" I want better, compex themes -- I
want to be able to use different bricks for different levels, for
example, or different enemies.
With the current theme format, we run in performance problems soon --
we already have, actually. So, to improve things further, we need to
change some of the ways we are working, and I'd like to have input
from others on the list, and artists in particular.

I have other ideas, too -- the actor animation, for example, is
difficult to get right.
I'll look in a way to provide a program to help in tweaking the
animation frames.

It'll not be very user friendly, at first, just a way to show the
run/climb loops, at different speeds. It should notice if the svg file
changed, and reload the frames.

Or to do some kind of onion-skin work with the frames...

Later, some tool to animate an actor skeleton and to give a skin to
that would be nice, though it would be an harder work to do...
Who knows, that may be a useful subproject for Gluon.

If this gets polished, the user could also create their avatar to use in game.

And any 2-d platform game needs animations similar to those present in
KGoldrunner.
We want different mosters in different games, but the hero could be shared.

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams