[Kde-games-devel] How do you play jigsaw puzzles

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 20 22:52:21 CEST 2009

Arturo Silva wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> There is actually one sense in which I could see doing that... double
>> sided puzzles :-). Either different pictures, or (even more annoying)
>> the same picture. But that's a long-term feature.
>
> Well if the game ever comes with multi-part difficulty in the future
> (or just puzzles listed as "challenging" that have extra features
> built in), then yeah that sounds like a great plan to make this fun
> for seasoned players. ^^

You don't really have much 'level of difficulty' within a single jigsaw
puzzle (maybe piece rotation on/off). Rather, your alternative
suggestion is IMO more in line with physical jigsaws; different puzzles
have different levels of difficulty. The simplest of course is number of
pieces, but there are other features such as double-sided, or all pieces
(except edges) are the exact same shape.

>> I wouldn't "replace" any of the textures (except maybe the default),
>> just tone them down a bit. Even better might be leave them as is but
>> with a 'contrast' slider to satisfy both of us. For the built-ins, do
>> some image processing to dynamically "soften" them.
>>
>> Actually another idea would be to turn them into something that can be
>> applied by image processing onto any color. Basically break them into an
>> overlay channel, hue shift channel, and remove the base color.
>>
>> Maybe I'll even look into doing this myself.
>
> More great ideas, I see. ^^
> I wonder if the same right-click texture change menu couldn't also
> house a contrast and hue slider as well.  Maybe not by default, but
> similar to a "More>" button that displays additional options that can
> be applied to that texture (and an accompanying "Less>" button to hide
> the sliders once more).

That's almost exactly what I was thinking...

--
Matthew
So, an astrophysicist, a quantum physicist, and an astrologer walk into