[Kde-games-devel] New Mazes game in KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 18 06:22:23 CEST 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 8:44:53 pm Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Ian Wadham skreiv:
> > "Center"?  Ugh!!!  Centre, centre!  Unfortunately, KDE insists on US
> > English, so "center" it has to be ... :-(
>
> Fortunately, KDE has a (very complete) British English translation.

Yes, I know, but I do not use en_GB, a) because I am a KDE developer
and b) because I am in Australia and there is no en_AU in KDE, nor
in OpenSuSE.  On balance, en_AU is perhaps closer to en_US than
en_GB, an after-effect no doubt of World War II, which may also
account for en_US being used in KDE.

I do worry however about the relentless march of American culture
and English language throughout the world, powered by Hollywood
and big business.  Even successful Australian actors have to adopt
American accents when they appear in American movies and TV
shows[1].  There is a special school they go to to learn the accent!

Cheers, Ian W.

[1] Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Russell Crowe, Anthony LaPaglia,
Heath Ledger, Hugh Jackman and even Errol Flynn, to name a few.