[Kde-games-devel] artwork license; was Re: granatier

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:01:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 17:08, Mathias Kraus wrote:
> hi all,
>
> could you help me with the following?
>
> Mathias Kraus schrieb am Dienstag 13 Oktober 2009:
>> Arturo Silva schrieb am Dienstag 13 Oktober 2009:
>> > My only other question now is about licensing.  For my DeviantArt
>> > pieces I generally use Creative Commons BY-SA, so I trust whatever
>> > license my Granatier submissions fall under will also be similarly
>> > free. ^^
>>
>> actually I don't know which license the kde artists use. but I think it
>>  should be put in the .desktop file and maybe also visible in the theme
>>  selector.
>
> what do you think, should the license be visible form the .desktop file?
> if yes, the kgamethemselector needs an update :)

Typically, kdegames artwork has been released under the GPL. This
makes things very simple when it comes distributing the game as a
whole, as one doesn't have to worry about license compatibilities.

Personally, I think showing the license in the theme selector is
overkill. The license doesn't really matter to a  user selecting a
preinstalled theme. I'd say we not bother them with this detail. Where
the license becomes more important is when installing a new theme
(which falls under KGHNS' responsibilities) or when creating a derived
work (which doesn't require anything visible in the GUI).

A few games have adopted an informal system using .copyright files.
(See killbots/themes for an example.) Personally I think this is
sufficient for our needs.

Parker