[Kde-games-devel] KScoreManager design

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 4 02:33:52 CEST 2009

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 7:43:29 pm Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Samstag 03 Oktober 2009 09:43:06 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> > However, I choose not to
> > use KScoreDialog ATM, because I think the presentation can be
> > improved
>
> Please tell me how the KScoreDialog to look like from your POV. I'm
> currently envisioning to replace the score table in the middle by a
> QTableView.

KGoldrunner uses a QTreeWidget.  Deprecated, I know, but I once read
all ten (or twenty?) eye-glazing chapters of the Qt model-view doco, my
head swimming in a maze of abstractions and delegates, and got well
and truly confused.  And when you have the data already modeled in your
app, it is easy enough to plug it into the widget version.

Why a QTreeWidget and not a QTableWidget?  I forget now, but maybe
because I don't like dividing lines.  Anyway, QTableView or QTreeView
should be fine.  The main thing is to display all the data clearly and
readably without text getting truncated or misaligned.

> > Unfortunately, when I compile KGr to use KScoreDialog, "CM"
> > appears in the side-tabs and there is not room for "Curse of the Mummy"
> > or its translation.  I would much prefer a paged display with a decent
> > sized header and next-previous buttons if people really want to flip
> > through high-score sets.
>
> KScoreDialog already has the concept of allowing multiple dialogs. I
> specifically think about the group/level/whatever ordering here. The
> current tabbed approach is good for flat group lists (like difficulties),
> which KGr could rather use a listview to select a level pack.

KGr just selects the current level-pack being played.  There is little
relationship between high-scores for different level-packs, so no real
need to switch tabs and compare in that case IMO.  What is *really*
needed is to display the full name of the level-pack across the top
in a nice font, and not crammed into some tab.  Readability is all.
Tabs are OK for short texts.

Another dislike I have is the dashes for empty entries in the table,
although IIRC Mauricio rather likes them.

Cheers, Ian W.