[Kde-games-devel] KScoreManager design

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 15:17:45 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 03:43, Ian Wadham wrote:
> However, I choose not to
> use KScoreDialog ATM, because I think the presentation can be
> improved and (AFAIK) there is no way to preserve pre-existing high
> score data during a changeover, nor to "seed" level collections at
> distribution time with challenge-type scores for new players to aim at.

Porting existing scores forward to a new system might be doable with
the kconf_update tool. [1] It's builtin functions are probably too
primitive, but it allows one to call external scripts. Writing a
Python (or Perl <cringe>) script to convert from on score system to
another shouldn't be too bad. Pre-seeded scores might be handled the
same way too.

Currently KScoreDialog uses the apps default config file for storing
the scores. What do people think about using a separate file instead?
I think this would make things simpler for users (or developers) who
would like to backup and restore their scores, or wipe their settings
while keeping the scores or vice versa. Highscore data really has
little to do with the app configuration and it's always kind of
bothered me that they're stored in the same file.

Parker