[Kde-games-devel] Games showcase and tips/tricks

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:47:05 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 3:09:06 pm Vivek Prakash wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm a new volunteer with KDE, specifically with KDE-promo, and I've been
> asked to improve the kde-games promotion materials being prepared for a
> booklet on KDE.

Hello Vivek and welcome aboard ... :-)  Good to know you are doing this work.

> I'm writing to ask which games in particular you would like mentioned.  I
> notice the website does an excellent job of showcasing random games every
> time I visit it - are there one or two games in particular you would like
>  to showcase.

Well, KGoldrunner and Kubrick of course [1] (I have no shame) ... :-)

Seriously, I think you will have to try a few from each category and make your
own choice.  Otherwise people might recommend the game they wrote or hang
back modestly, which seems to be happening.  I would like to mention two (new)
games *not* written by me, which will be released in KDE 4.4 early in 2010.

One is Palapeli, a jigsaw-puzzle game, in which you can make and solve
your own jigsaws.  I have made a 4-piece puzzle from a photo of our family
dogs for my 3-year old grandson to try out.  Currently it works best with
around 100 pieces, but I believe the author, Stefan Majewsky, will be looking
at ways to make it work well with 1000 pieces or more, for the KDE 4.5
version, due out later next year.

I have made and solved a 1000 piece puzzle with Palapeli, but it took a very
long time.  In such a large puzzle, the pieces become tiny on-screen and
hard to see.  Or you can magnify them, but then you get only a few
visible on-screen at one time.

The other is Kigo, an implementation of the ancient Chinese/Japanese
game of Go, which is very easy to learn, but as difficult as Chess at
"master" level or maybe even more difficult.  In Kigo, your computer
opponent is the GnuGo engine, who is not highly-skilled but can help
you learn the game and develop your skill to the point where you can
venture online and challenge human players at the various Go websites.

These two games have only recently entered the KDE trunk source-code
repository.  Both are masterpieces, but you will not see them on distros
until after KDE 4.4 release, early next year.

> I also wanted your input on a "Tips and tricks" section.  Each section of
> the booklet will also contain a "Tips and Tricks" subsection, to present
> information that may not be obvious from early use of the program.  For
> example, this could include keyboard shortcuts for certain tasks, or
> additional functionality that might not be immediately apparent (like a
>  blog preview for a blogging program or a presentation mode to a PDF
>  viewer).  So, for example, is there some tip/trick about KPatience to
>  which you would like to give greater prominence?

I do not believe such a section is appropriate for KDE Games.  We try to
write them so that they are quick and easy to learn, but difficult to master.

My main tip is to go to the Help->XXX Handbook (F1) to see a summary of
what the XXX game is about and what the objective is (i.e. how to "win").
Several KDE Games also have tutorials, demos or a Tips and Tricks section
in the handbook.

> I'll basically be updating and expanding on the text pasted below.
> (Anything I write will probably be heavily edited, which is why I'm
> comfortable taking on a task about programs I'm not very familiar with.)
>
> Thanks for your advice.  I appreciate your time.  And on an unrelated note:
> those are some pretty awesome games!

We do our best ... :-)

>  <<KDE Games screenshots>>
>
> When you need a little break from work, KDE offers a wide selection of
> games, both small and large. You can play classic games like *Rubik's
>  Cube*, or more challenging and complex games, such as *Sudoku*. Try
>  miniature golf with up to 10 other players, or one of the other boardgames
>  such as *Reversi *, *Shisen*, *Bovo *or *Battleship*. Or if you prefer,
>  you can stick to * Patience*, *Solitaire* and similar card games. Along
>  with the nice artwork, you can customize the look of your games by
>  downloading themes available online, and you download additional levels as
>  well. You can even create your own graphics and game levels and share them
>  easily with others!

One technical point, especially relevant in promo work (we do not want KDE to
get sued): many terms that come up in writing about games are trademarked
or copyrighted.  "Rubik's Cube" (TM) is just one example above.  The
corresponding KDE Game is called "Kubrick" BTW.  The handbooks will
usually quote such terms in the proper legal way, maybe in the Credits
and Licences chapter.

I like your writing style, Vivek, it is very bright and breezy.  Excellent for
promo work.  However I think most people would agree that the said cube
(dimensions 3x3x3) is much more difficult than KSudoku, although Kubrick
does offer some simpler puzzles with smaller dimensions or limited numbers
of moves.

And there is just one KPatience game (kpat for short).  Curiously, it calls
itself a Patience game, which is UK English for such games.  In US English,
which is the KDE standard, they are called Solitaire, I believe.  Perhaps
you should describe this game as being "a Patience or Solitaire card game".

All the best with your project,
Cheers, Ian W.
Melbourne, Australia.
[1] Author of KGoldrunner and Kubrick.