[Kde-games-devel] KSudoku new engine

Johannes Bergmeier Johannes.Bergmeier at gmx.net
Thu Nov 19 00:37:37 CET 2009

On Monday November 16 2009 23:30:40 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 16 de novembre de 2009, Johannes Bergmeier va escriure:
> > I finished the solver of my new engine and the JavaScript support for it.
> > Currently I'm porting KSudoku to it in a private git repository. All
> >  changes go to the backend of KSudoku which is not visible to the user
> > and have undergone heavy testing.
> >
> > If nobody has concerns I will commit this changes to trunk next time I
> >  reach a stable state.
>
> Good you are working on new features, but KSudoku has a nasty crasher[1]
>  that should be fixed first imho. I know working on bugs is not as cool as
>  doing features but users need it more than a new engine.

I did some investigation into this the mentioned crasher. It has its origin in
the first implementation of the advanced game modes. With other words: loading
games like Samurai is a feature that never worked in the first place.

As the new engine changes very much in the underlying code of KSudoku (while
not affecting much of the user interface) that part would be completely
replaced. But i promise that I will rewrite loading of custom games if the
integration of the new engine will not be finished before the hard feature
freeze.

That would not be the only bug, that would be gone when I finish this
"feature". That was the reason I started the new design one and a half years
ago. There were many bugs that could not get fixed easily or not in "the right
way". The implementation itself is ready but as the whole core of KSudoku was
rather buggy I started a clean implementation.

Josel