[Kde-games-devel] [RFC] The future of Kolf (yet again)

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Mon Nov 16 00:09:54 CET 2009

Hi,

after Palapeli has entered kdereview, it's time to step back and have a look
forward. The KDE 4.5/Palapeli 1.1 cycle will focus on improving the gameplay
for big puzzles. In April/May, I plan to do a puzzle competition, to find some
high-quality images for the default puzzle collection.

But that is not the point of my mail. I ask myself what the direction for Kolf
should look like. And currently, I'm feeling quite comfortable with the
possibility to remove the 3D stuff.

Now that I have your undivided attention, I'll explain why this could actually
be a viable option:

I've stated from the very beginning that I want to preserve the traditional
Kolf feeling. There are already plenty golf games with 3D or isometric views,
but Kolf is special in that regard, and I'm pretty sure that people like Kolf
for its gameplay. (For the record, in the following paragraphs, "2D view"
always refers to the classical top-down 2D view, not some isometric stuff or
similar.)

Nonetheless, we have decided to play with the concept of a 3D view. Casper and
Zeng have written some great OpenGL code over the year, while I have created
infrastructure for the interface and the editor.

Up to now, I coded these parts of Kolf in such a way that the 3D view remains
completely optional. I want as much levels as possible to be playable on the
2D view. And I want as much levels as possible to be designable on the 2D
editor. However, I've come to a point where it becomes hard to follow this
policy, for example:
1. It's hard to define positions on the Z axis in an intuitive way using a
top-down 2D view.
2. It's hard to find the minimal Z-axis extent of an obstacle for which the
ball will always hit the obstacle at all reachable heights. (On one hand, it
would be weird if the ball just flew over the obstacle when you're on the 2D
view. On the other hand, the obstacle would obscure big parts of the 3D
viewport if it was too big.)

Note the usage of the phrase "it's hard". All of this is doable, but it
requires many time which I do not have. Also, I fear Kolf's code could turn
into the mess that Kolf 1 has become over the years. (All of you know that
this is not meant as an insult.) At the moment, everything's quite clean and
neat, and I like that.

Long story short: I doubt I can finish a Kolf that has both a good 2D and 3D
view in a reasonable timeframe. (Actually, the timeframe is already much too
long. I wanted Kolf 2 to be included in KDE 4.3.)

So what would it mean if we throw out the 3D view?
1. I would possibly replace the physics engine by a 2D engine (something like
Box2D). This could be a good opportunity to apply some lessons I learned with
ODE (which is close to a disaster if you try to dynamically link to it).
2. Obviously, the 3D code gets thrown away, too. But I see a chance for a big
part of the terrain code that Zeng wrote during GSoC. A terrain is obviously
also needed in a 2D Kolf, though it would influence the physics simulation in
another way. (While a 3D terrain is a static obstacle, a 2D terrain works like
a force field.)

Okay, that's all for now from my side. Now please convince me that there is a
way to keep the 3D stuff. I really feel bad with nullifying the work that has
been done on this part of Kolf, but on the other hand, I do nobody a favor if
Kolf stays in playground forever.

Greetings
Stefan