[Kde-games-devel] KPat Progress and Regressions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Nov 14 01:36:42 CET 2009

On November 13, 2009, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> [Aaron J. Seigo | Friday 13 November 2009]

> > > i'm quited tempted; maybe for kde 4.5 (and we can probably steal code
> > > from libplasma for this as well since we do this kind of transition a
> > > lot in plasma)
> >
> > meh; i got annoyed with something else i was working on and spent the 5
> > minutes it took to implement this. draft patch attached.
>
> I am always amazed by the speed you all implement such changes in a code
>  base you are not familiar with.

i find it's one of the benefits of working on Qt/KDE code: the API is the same
everywhere (huzzah for transferable skills!) and there are a finite number of
common idioms used by the KDE development community ... so even when the code
base is unfamiliar, it's possible to be very productive.

(that and practicing reading code in general is a great way to get faster at
these things; as a younger man i used to spend evenings reading the code of
various f/oss projects such as apache, postgres or openssh looking for ideas
and practicing my reading fluency :)

> I applied the patch and is looks vey nice. :)

cool; i've tweaked the values a bit so that it's a little slower (.3s instead
of .25s) but has more frames, so it feels a bit smoother.

> The patch also (accidentally?) includes different speed values which at

whoops! that was indeed accidental. and yes, those values are, as you noticed,
geared a bit towards people who play it more than once (and so are used to the
idea that things will be automoved on you).

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se