[Kde-games-devel] kpat issues (in recent svn)

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 23 00:15:39 CEST 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:19:48 am Parker Coates wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Parker Coates wrote:

> >> Could be. I run kpat maximized on either 1600x1200 or 1920x1200, maybe
> >> it only happens when the window is very large?
> >>
> >> Screenshot attached. This is what usually happens; I've occasionally
> >> seen even stranger clipping.
> >
> > This really looks like a QGraphicsView bug to me. Each card is a
> > QGraphicsPixmapItem and the pixmap it uses is always a full card. I'm
> > assuming that there is more than one face down card in that pile? If
> > that's the case then all of them have been clipped.
> >
> > I'm not sure how we proceed from here.
>
> Okay, my current theory is that this is a QGraphicsView regression in
> Qt4.5. A lot of performance improvements were added to QGV for 4.5, so
> maybe they got a little too greedy. :) If anyone has a copy of trunk
> built against Qt4.4, it would be very much appreciated if you could
> test this out.

Heh ... I was just about to do a catchup on libraries.  I am compiling and
building with Qt-copy as at 29 Nov 2008 (Qt version 4.4.0) and KDE Games
as at 27 April 2009 (I think that would be about kpat source dir rev 948462).

I play Klondike for one or two hands a day, using the Egyptian deck, but
have never seen any clipping of the "talon".  That's the face-down stock
pile isn't it?

Who calls it a "talon", BTW?  I have never seen the term elsewhere than
in KPat handbooks ...  Is it "according to Hoyle"?

So what exactly would you like me to test (before I update libraries)?

> I've also been able to determine that it is much more likely to happen
> at bigger window sizes. I've also changed my local copy of KPat to use
> a QGLWidget in the QGraphicsView, and that stops the issue.

I tend to play with KPat maximized on a 1280x800 laptop display.
Is that big enough?

All the best, Ian W.