[Kde-games-devel] KDEGames Day the discussion

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Sun May 3 17:03:00 CEST 2009

2009/5/3 Eugene Trounev <eugene.trounev at gmail.com>:
> Guys, what's taking so much space there? I thought that once CUPS, Java,
> hardware drivers, GTK and most of KDE is out of the way we would be looking
> at about 600MB, or at most 800MB of space after install...

Well, the biggest packages (installed) are:
libqt4-debuginfo  361.6 MB
kdelibs4-debuginfo  259.6 MB
kdegames4-debuginfo  89.4 MB
glibc-locale  88.1 MB
kernel-default  55.2 MB
kdebase4-workspace  41.3 MB

I'm working on getting it down but given that the debuginfo packages
contribute almost half of the space, it's not going to make a big
difference.

> I'll provide all the necessary artwork by the way. What resolution is the
> splash anyways? I know it must be 16bit JPEG, and VirtualBox uses VESA, so
> the max resolution there is 1024x768. Am I right?

Yeah, I think 1024x768 is right for the splash screen. The image need
to be mostly unbranded since we can add a separate logo to it.
So we need:
* 1024x768 unbranded image which is used for the GRUB menu, bootsplash
and KDM screen
* few hundred pixels square logo (or I can just use the current
KDEGames logo) for branding purposes.
* Nice quiet desktop background - otherwise we can just use the
default KDE one or even the bootsplash image.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com