[Kde-games-devel] SoC status

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 01:57:11 CET 2009

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Sonntag 22 März 2009 09:03:31 Josef Spillner wrote:
>> I just came back from a week of
>> travelling and my inbox is filled with SoC-related mails from several
>> projects. What is the current situation regarding the planned "contingent"
>> of slots for kdegames? If there is such a thing, I'd be in favour of
>> offering one to this applicant.
>
> I do not know about a "contingent" for kdegames, but we did not have any slots
> at least in 2006 through 2008, and I remember that we did not even get
> applications in 2008.
>
> This year, I've two (perhaps three) applicants for the Kolf 2 landscape
> object. I'm concerned whether we can get two slots accepted, but it would IMHO
> just be fair after not having any SoC projects for at least three years.

We did have good applications last year, but we never managed to get
past the voting phase, IIRC. I think this had to do with pre-defined
slots being reserved for several projects, and kdegames where not among
those.
I think we should get involved in all the discussion phases: as I
understand nothing has been decided yet. This is from a message I posted
on February to the kde-soc-mentor list:

---
 > Hi, people. Last year we did not have any project approved for kdegames,
 > unfortunately. Part of our group considers that this was a side-effect
 > of not being involved in the preliminary discussions, where issues like
 > quotas for specific projects were defined. So for 2009 we want to make
 > sure we are on-board from the start: is this the right forum for this
 > discussion?
 > Do we have an idea already about how many students we are going to get,
 > and how they are going to be selected?

This is not decided yet.
For now make sure you write down ideas for projects on the techbase
page so students can see what kde-games has to offer.
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas

Cheers
Lydia

----

So, if we are interested in getting games, we need to sign up as
mentors: http://socghop.appspot.com/  and encourage students to put up
ideas at the techbase page.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini