[Kde-games-devel] Review Request: KPat: Add command line option to skip directly to a particular game

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:24:22 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:05, Ian Wadham wrote:
> I love the start screen too, in fact I like it so much I would like to see it
> come up whenever I do Settings->Game Type .... !!!!  It seems inconsistent
> that it does not.

As of trunk, this is new behaviour.

> An alternative to the command-line approach might be to bring up a
> fresh deal of the last game-type played, by default, and allow the start
> screen to be suppressed with a "Don't show me this again" button.  And
> maybe it could be re-enabled in the Settings menu, in case a friend calls
> by and wants to see the full range of games when starting KPat.

We've actually gone one further. There is now a new menu entry
"Settings > Remember State on Exit". If checked, KPat will save the
current game on shutdown and automatically reopen it the next time
KPat is launched. I've left this setting disabled by default, because
I still think the game selection screen is neat and "change is
scary"(tm).

I've also combined a lot of the rendering and caching code into a
single class and as a result, start up times should now be lower.

Anyway, all told I've been making quite a few changes around KPat
lately (with Coolo's blessing, of course). Feedback and bug reports on
any of these changes would be very much appreciated.

Parker