[Kde-games-devel] A timer class for games

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Jun 17 00:57:13 CEST 2009

> Sounds good :-)
>
> Have you tried comparing it to QTimeline as Alan says?

Last time I looked at it, each QTimeline implicates in an underlying
QTimer object. I am not saying it is bad, KBlocks for example uses it
extensively. But for KGoldRunner I think the benefit of having a
single game-specific timer is a good thing, as the game mechanics are
really heavily dependant on exact timing. At one time there were some
comments about this on the dot, and it was vented that in the future
it might be possible to make all QTimelines share a single QTimer.
This is important as it decreases the update requests. I think what
Ian has done looks a lot like this optimization, but specific to a
game timer.

BTW, for KBlocks QTimeline is used for the effects (fade in, fade
outs) but not to control the game play rate.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini