[Kde-games-devel] To ogg or not to ogg?

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:55:48 CEST 2009

[Casper van Donderen | Wednesday 01 July 2009]
> If using OGG adds latency we should file a bug against Phonon since both
> the unreal and I'd engines now use OGG sounds and I think we can use
> those as benchmark.

I do not think you can compare Games like UT to KDEGames. The former is
written as close to the hardware as it makes sense. The latter has many
layers of indirection.

I enabled the ogg sounds in KShisen a few days back and is seems fine. Once
I had some latency but that might have been due to too many fired signals.

I suggest activatin ogg sounds now (in trunk) and see, if anyone has
problems with it. After all, there is much time until 4.4. :)

Regards