[Kde-games-devel] mahjongg tiles...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 20 18:01:22 CET 2009

Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Dienstag, 20. Januar 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Your 3D-Mahjongg - is that a solitaire variant?

Heh, I guess I should specify. Yes, the idea is to implement at least
the kmahjongg and kshisen modes (possibly adding some variants to
kshisen in the process), and possibly others.

>> Thoughts?
>
> you seem to know much more about these things than I do, so I cannot
> really comment. But it sounds very good. Of course I would have to duplicate what
> you do in Python, but that should be easy.

Actually, I would say libkmahjongg should handle it. I don't do python,
but I would think you can use bindings to libkmahjongg?

> I would however be curious what you
> think about the  problem with just exchanging the values for height and width.
> If that were possible I could just do that with the plain tile and put the rotated
> face on it. [snip]

I think I don't need to repeat the problems with it, because you're
already aware of them :-).

Hmm... I wonder if Qt can do software-only GL? I don't know how
fast/slow it would be, but one solution might be to define the artwork
as /only/ 3D and have a way to generate the 2D from the 3D artwork?

> the relation should always be the same, otherwise this "horizontal stretching"
> gets it wrong. if that was fixed, it would already look much better.

Yes, well, as long as there is an isometric projection going on, that's
not going to be fixable without breaking the tile into more pieces than
what we have currently. (Which would amount to something like the
suggestion above.)

If nothing else, though, I think we should move the shadows from art
into code ;-).

--
Matthew
"I always thought the KDE coders were simply very intelligent AI's...