[Kde-games-devel] Artwork Licensing and "Mountain Adventure"

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 21:36:01 CET 2009

Hello folks,

All this talk of porting the "Mountain Adventure" theme from Killbots
to Kapman has reminded me of some questions I meant to ask long ago.

First, here's some background information:
- The sprites in the "Mountain Adventure" theme were first used in a
Gnobots2 theme (the Gnome version of "robots"). [1]
- That theme, called "boo" [2], was created by Nicu Buculei. [3]
- Gnobots2 is a GPL2+ application. The SVG theme file itself doesn't
contain any explicit copyright or licence.
- The background is a simplified version of a beautiful background
it-s posted to kde-look.org. [4]
- The background is released under the GPL but contains no explicit copyright.

So my question is what do I (in my Killbots theme) have to do to
ensure GPL compliance? All files in question are GPL, so I don't think
there's an issue there, but what do I do about copyrights and
attribution? If we were talking about source code, I would simply take
the copyright statements from the "borrowed" source files and include
them with my own in the new file, but that doesn't work here as
neither file seems to have a copyright.

At moment I simply give credit in the description section of the
theme's .desktop file ("Sprites by Nicu Buculei. Background by Eugene
Trounev.") but is that sufficient?

This also raises an interesting question about KHNS integration. All
artwork included in the KDEGames package is GPL by default, but is
there any license applied to artwork downloaded via KHNS?

Thanks,

Parker

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Robots
[2] http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gnome-games/trunk/gnobots2/boo.svg?view=log