[Kde-games-devel] Kapman default theme

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 04:18:09 CET 2009

Thomas Gallinari wrote:
> Cool, could you do that yourself?
>
> Le Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:28:32 +0100, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl at huftis.org>
> a écrit:
>
>> Thomas Gallinari skreiv:
>>
>>> Changing the default Kapman theme would be a good idea, and to my mind
>>> it
>>> would not be such a hard work since only the characters look like the
>>> copyrighted ones. The maze, that is the biggest Kapman artwork, could
>>> keep
>>> unchanged.
>> FWIW, I would enjoy a theme based on the ‘Mountain Adventure’ theme from
>> Killbots. It already has ghosts, and would introduce some consistency in
>> the
>> kdegames artwork …

I just committed an initial theme based on Killbots sprites. The ghosts
look good already imo, respecting the original colors of the retro
theme. The hero needs work. I need to add the simplified movement of
legs and arms, but it is 1:10AM here and I have a small holiday trip
scheduled to start in 6 hours. I will try to do these tomorrow if I get
a connection, or until Monday if possible. I think we can ask for a
small extension to the artwork freeze if necessary as well.
I reused existing strings due to the string freeze, gladly Mountain
Adventure was already in Killbots :) Hope it does not cause problems for
translators.
The theme revealed a bug/limitation in the transform code for the hero
sprite, I think. Run the game and you will see that when going to the
left the hero will switch to be upside down, which is strange. We do not
see it in the default one as it is a circle ;) Thomas, if you do not
have time to look at it let me know and I will attempt to fix it during
the week (it is a bug fix, so the freeze does not apply.)
It is a late change and I am sure other artists can come with something
better in the near future, but we can not risk missing the artwork
deadline imo, and we definitively need a default theme with more
distinct characters to avoid trouble.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini