[Kde-games-devel] Kpat themes. Another take

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Tue Feb 24 23:05:31 CET 2009

Eugene Trounev wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 of February 2009 09:47:33 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I think you omitted the part I dislike most; you're removing the ability
>> to have a /background/ independent of the cards. (I notice Luciano makes
>> the same objection ;-).)
> Well, it doesn't work now anyways, so no losses there.
>> Also, I still think it would be nice if the deck (which can include its
>> own back) specifies the "style" of back and would let you pick other
>> backs of the same style (i.e. size and shape). Else if you just want a
>> different back, you have to copy an entire deck.
> And right now if you want to have different tiles with the same pictures in
> mahjongg you have to copy them over too. I don't see anyone doing that.
> Specifying shape's a bit of an overkill if you ask me. Besides how would you
> describe a *style*?

I am more in line with Eugene here. The ability to select the back of
the cards separately from the front has always looked like a
customization for the sake of it, imo. If we loose this but gain the
ability to make it easier and more friendly for designers to create new
themes, then I support the change. I think it is always easier to have a
designer re-using elements and producing a new self-contained theme then
having the user mixing-and-matching different elements in a more complex
interface.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacetnini