[Kde-games-devel] Review Request: KPat: Add command line option to skip directly to a particular game

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sat Feb 14 16:00:34 CET 2009

On venerdì 13 febbraio 2009, Parker Coates wrote:

> The problem lies with the game indices. KPat internally keeps track of its
> different game types using integer indexes. Unfortunately, for backwards
> compatibility (I assume) the game indexes are not sequential and some game
> types have multiple indices. Seemingly random indices aren't a very
> userfriendly way of referencing the games either.
>
> This initial version of the patch adds a game to index mapping to the
> "--help" text, but it does so in a fairly hideous and non-i18n-friendly
> way. I had considered using string constants like
> "--gametype=simple_simon", but I'm not sure if that makes sense in a
> translated environment.

The point of the commandline switches is to make it possible to start a
game "programmatically". As we the switches themselves are
locale-independent, so should be the game type keywords.

If we want to make icons to start a particular game type, having the game name
localized would mean extra work... We'd need a specialized .desktop file for
each locale.

I'd prefer some simplified version of the game name (well, just the englis
game name, with underscores instead of spaces, and with only alphanumeric
characters).

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //