[Kde-games-devel] Copyright notices

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 11 17:50:43 CET 2009

Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> in source files (who holds the copyright on ui and XML files?)

...the people that wrote or contributed to them, of course. I'm not sure
how you /add/ copyright notices to a .ui, though (and TBH I don't think
I've ever done it, which means .ui's I've written are probably unmarked;
shame on me :-) ).

> Having the source files say that John Doe holds the copyright then putting
> "The KDEGames team" in the about dialog is just a lie, isn't it?
> Stating something like "Several people" with a note that one should look at
> the code would be less beautiful but more accurate.

Writing "copyright <years> the authors" might be better. (IANAL however,
so any contrary advice from someone that knows better what they are
talking about should trump mine :-).)

> Ok, maybe I'm kind of hair-splitting here, but I heard several times now that
> the copyright notice in many KDE programmes are meaningless, so I really would
> like to know. :)

I suspect that's true of the About... notice. The source files should be
correct however (and should be fixed if they aren't).

--
Matthew
"Braaaaaaaaiins!" -- Zombies