[Kde-games-devel] Kollision

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 03:48:08 CET 2009

2009/2/5 Clemens Werther:
> -- pause_on_lost_focus_r1.diff
> second try :)
> this time, if the focus is lost, the game only toggles pause, if it
> isn't paused already
>
> -- consistent_formatting.diff
> just some inconsistencies I stumbled across
> 2x double new line removed
> 1x space added
>
> -- regarding update_blue_ball_as_needed.diff from my previous mail
>  > My bigger concern is that it has a fairly large effect on game play.
>  >  It removes the frustration of a stuck ball near the edge and as you
>  > mention it removes the "glitch" that allowed the ball to teleport from
>  >  one edge to another. Personally, I quite like both those changes. But
>  >  this change also makes it quite a lot easier to zip along the edge of
>  >  the play area in a perfectly straight, generally safe line. After
>  >  applying the patch I find myself playing a lot closer to the edges to
>  >  take advantage of this.
>
> A player could also drag the Kollision window to the corner of his
> screen and would get the same result as in my patch, but only at two
> edges (however, one could also change screen resolution to get it on
> even more edges).
> Furthermore the blue ball doesn't stick, when it touches an edge: The
> mouse pointer hast to leave the play area to make this happen.
> In my opinion, the ball should stick, if it touches an edge or it
> shouldn't be able to stick at all.
> But as Kollison already provides code to handle touches of edges(code
> below), and it doens't make the ball stick, the proper solution is to
> not allow the ball to stick at all.

Okay, I've committed all the patches except
update_blue_ball_as_needed.diff as I believe they're all reasonable
improvements that are unlikely to result in controversy.

I personally approve of the update... patch and would readily commit
it if I were the Kollision maintainer. But because I'm not and the
patch affects functionality, I'm hesitant. Do any of you other
KDEGames folks have any input? I guess in the worst case, we could
just commit the change and later consider reverting it if anyone is
particularly outraged.

Parker