[Kde-games-devel] kshisen theme for 4.3

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 12:19:30 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Mauricio Piacentini <piacentini at kde.org> wrote:
> Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>> It is very good indeed. I like it as it is, but if the aim is to help
>> the player to quickly distinguish the various tile sets, may I suggest
>> to use a different color for the bamboo tiles? Green comes to my mind,
>> but it may not be the only choice...
>>
>> By the way, I like the default tiles too, but what about the missing dragon?
>> I think the 'empty" tile should really look something like this:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MJd3.png
>
> Some tilesets (real) represent the blank dragon as a blank tile. It is
> not missing, it was the intention of the author.

I stand corrected, then. I did not know that was a stylistic decision.

> It might be confuse to some, I agree. I was used to it. If it is really
> perceived as a problem, maybe emailing the author is the way to go? She
> could have the final say on what to do, and maybe make the modification
> directly.

Well, now that I know the tile is meant to look that way, I'm not
really objecting to it.

> I think this is the procedure we should follow for every change in art:
> sometimes we have a small change to suggest, like a different color. The
> change might be small for us, but the artist can consider it really
> out-of-place. Artists can be picky about their "vision", and since we
> allow people to create modifications and load different themes we should
> attempt to preserve this.

Of course, it's up to the artist to decide. On the other hand, it's
the game maintainer that ultimately has to chose the default graphics.

There are practical matters to consider when designing something that
is to be used, and not only admired. This requires compromises, or
planning in advance for the use-case needs.

I'm not really speaking of mah-jongg tiles here; those we currently
ship are all nice, and nicely assorted, and even if some are a bit
harder to use than others (for example, the jade tileset, being
monochrome, requires more effort to spot the couplings), that's OK,
since the player has the last word on which tileset to use.

And "harder" tiles may be a challenge, themselves, which is an option
too, in a game.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams