[Kde-games-devel] KShisen tiles suck?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Sun Feb 1 20:22:55 CET 2009

Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Frederik Schwarzer skreiv:
>
>> Is it possible that the default tileset is not a good choice?
>> I do not like them much but I consider this a case of taste, not of
>> general suckiness. I cannot even say why I prefer the Classic ones. I
>> think they are easier to percept optically because the Kanji are not that
>> complex.
>
> FWIW, my mother doesn’t like the new tileset either. :)
>
> And I’m not too overly fond of it, mostly because it looks so grey. Even if
> it *does* use different colours, I think it’s much easier to visually
> separate the different tiles with the old tileset. For example, the long
> green symbols look very different than the round symbols in the old tileset,
> but with the new one, they *appear* to me very alike (even though are not).
> I’m not sure I can explain it any better …

It is rather a question of choosing a new default, if we want to. There
is a Classic tileset already, and a Traditional one as well. Maybe (and
Eugene has stressed this point) we need to offer an easier way for
people to load the THEMES screen.

I would not change the default based on a few "it sucks" comments,
sorry. Several people I know (including my mom) prefer it a lot over the
old one from KDE3, for example. I am not saying there is no room for
improvement: there is A LOT. Artists can tweak it, or tweak the existing
Classic or Traditional, or do a new one, and we can replace the default
periodically even.
BTW, the default tileset is identical (colors and all) to a real
mahjongg one. I do not think there is a "standard" for colors, however,
and we can surely improve on it.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini