[Kde-games-devel] Chess game for KDE4

Miha Čančula miha.cancula at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:41:06 CET 2009

I noticed on the Porting to KDE4 page that there's currently no eqiuvalent to
Knights. So I decided to write a new chess board for KDE SC 4 with libkdegames
integration (using KGameCanvas and KGameTheme) and support for both KGGZ and
the xboard protocol.

I am aware of Tagua, which was an attempt at a similar, but more complex
application. However that included a custom animation framework (not needed
since animations are now in Qt 4.6), a LUA scripting module and no integration
with kdegames libraries for theming.

The app is currently quite simple and it shouldn't take very long to make it
usable, but I have some related questions:

1. Is there actual interest for such an app? I believe KDE Games should have a
decent chess program, but that may not be the general opinion (original games
are preferred?).

2. If yes, should I ask for svn access and put it into playground?

3. This one is ggz specific: The KGGZ::Module::isGGZ() always return false, in
my app as well as other kde games. Do I have to have something installed or
start the program in a special way to enable support for GGZ?

4. Can anyone suggest a better name than KChess? Or should I simply name it
Knights, even though it's not the same?

Thank you,
Miha