[Kde-games-devel] Fwd: playground/games/kolf-ng

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Fri Aug 14 11:35:05 CEST 2009

Am Freitag 14 August 2009 09:14:55 schrieb Huan Zeng:
> SVN commit 1011257 by hzeng:
>
> fill the texture list with a default set of textures, the default textures
> are stored in courses directory now, should look for a better directory for
> storing.The current texture set is very simple, we should find good looking
> textures and test for well-fitting ranges.

Hi there,

this is a call for artists. We need a set of (default) textures for the
terrain. The following textures will be needed (SVG format is desired of
course):
* water
* grass
* some more rocky ground for elevated locations
* sand bunker
To allow for greater flexibility for level designers, it would be nice if
different variants for these use cases could be provided (e.g. darker grass or
moss instead of green grass).

To test your textures, you'll need a current checkout of
playground/games/kolf-ng.
1. Put pre-rendered versions of your textures into the courses/ subdirectory
in your checkout, overwriting the default-*.jpg textures.
2. `make install` to get the textures into the installation locations.
3. Launch kolf-ng, and open the course "Terrain test" for editing.
4. Go to the second tab. (The first tab shows some example texture we used
when we could not yet generate our own textures.)
5. The textures are bound to different height ranges. These ranges can be
adjusted in the list at the left. Doubleclick to edit, enter new values for
minimum, median and maximum, and press OK. (The median is the height value
where the texture will be replicated 1:1 on the final texture. Above or below
the median, it will be shaded to show the different heights.) You'll have to
press the "Start blending" toolbutton to regenerate the texture.
6. Saving does, at least to my knowledge, not work at the moment.

Write back to Zeng (see CC, he's the author of the texture blending and
heightmap editing code) or me (I've written most of the rest of Kolf 2) if
you've got problems or questions. We are esp. looking forward to helping you
with integrating new textures into the program.

Greetings
Stefan