[Kde-games-devel] KPatience, select deck dialog idea and mockup.

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 05:30:32 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Parker Coates wrote:
>> What if we simplified our card deck classes and UI to handle only
>> single SVG files with a single embedded "back" element and then create
>> a new little utility program for create new custom themes? It could
>> support loading front sides and backsides from existing installed
>> decks, or from external SVG files and could install the new themes,
>> save them to some other location, or upload them to a GHNS server.
>>
>> Your fancy backside patterns could also be included, but when actually
>> saved to disk, the themes would be entirely static and self contained.
>> The main advantage would be that it would simplify much of our deck
>> handling code and UI. All the complex configurability that a small
>> subset of users desire would be offloaded to an external app.
>>
>> Anyway, that's a lot of work that I don't have time to do, and it
>> certainly couldn't be done for 4.3, but I thought it was an
>> interesting idea. Comments welcome.
>
> I find this a very interesting idea, and could also be used as a way for
> people to create their own "mashup" themes, maybe upload to GHNS, etc. I
> think that everything that simplifies in-game code is a winner.

Well, I'm glad people are interested in this idea. We'll see who's
still interested when it comes time to actually do the coding...

Today I finished converting all of the PNG based decks to SVG. As a
result, I removed the "Show old style decks" option from the card
selection dialog. While I was in there, I couldn't resist the urge to
do some clean up. I removed a lot of empty space and simplified the
dialog quite a bit, but the general concept is unchanged. The end
result is attached and is currently in trunk.

I'm still not sure if I like using a checkable groupbox for the
backside selection or not. It's certainly very clean and it's easy to
figure out, but it doesn't give much description. Feedback  on this
point is welcome.

By making these changes I was not trying to jump ahead and push my own
design over the mockups posted earlier in this thread. The current UI
is still far from perfect, so if anyone (Dmitry?) is still interested
in trying his or her hand at this, go right ahead. I just wanted to
make sure we had something semi-respectable ready to ship with 4.3.

Parker