[Kde-games-devel] KPatience, select deck dialog idea and mockup.

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sun Apr 26 11:32:32 CEST 2009

On domenica 26 aprile 2009, Parker Coates wrote:

> That seems like a pretty elaborate setup for an in game card deck
> selector. The following idea just popped into my head. It might not be
> very good, but it would deal with some of our issues.

Unfortunately, I just tried installing the huncard deck, and the idea does not
work: Qt tiny svg renderer does not support patterns (it is not part of the
svg tiny profile). So my idea cannot work as is.

> What if we simplified our card deck classes and UI to handle only
> single SVG files with a single embedded "back" element and then create
> a new little utility program for create new custom themes?

I'm all for it. Actually I was going to do it for my own use anyway...
I'm tired of hand editing svg files. And there are many mechanical tasks that
can be automated when authoring a card deck... at least for normal 52 card
decks.

What I'd do is extend the perl script I used for the huncards deck (which I'll
have to modify anyway) and make it generate cards based on svg elements for
the four suits, the numbers and the court figures.

> It could
> support loading front sides and backsides from existing installed
> decks,

This part is hard, since you have to find all the elements referenced by the
back element, and then it's still possible different decks use widely
different base measures.

> or from external SVG files and could install the new themes,
> save them to some other location, or upload them to a GHNS server.

This is doable, and what I'd like to do.

> Your fancy backside patterns could also be included, but when actually
> saved to disk, the themes would be entirely static and self contained.
> The main advantage would be that it would simplify much of our deck
> handling code and UI. All the complex configurability that a small
> subset of users desire would be offloaded to an external app.
>
> Anyway, that's a lot of work that I don't have time to do, and it
> certainly couldn't be done for 4.3, but I thought it was an
> interesting idea. Comments welcome.

Sure, 4.3 is feature frozen. We'll do that for next release.

Luciano

- --
Luciano Montanaro //
                \X/ mikelima at cirulla.net