[Kde-games-devel] Statusbar messages in KPatience

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz-kde at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:45:20 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 19:15:57 Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in KPatience there are status bar messages to tell the user that
> - This game can still be won! Good luck to you.
> - Nope, this game cannot be won anymore.
> - Timeout while playing - unknown if it can be won
> - This game is lost.
>
> Isn't that a bit too much?

I agree :) Only game is lost makes sense.

If this pops up at every card movement this should be removed indeed.
This is like poking a person every second saying "hey, you're winning, keep it up!".
Or the opposite. Not everyone will like it.
I think it felt certainly cool when one who coded this (coolo?) was experimenting and
excited about new feature. But having it in a shipped application is not very nice
IMHO.

OTOH this solver feature can be left with a purpose for user to trigger it
explicitly. I.e. if i wish to know what's the current state of game, i can go to some
menu and choose some "is game winnable?" option. And then receive answer.
But not in every turn! :)

That's what i think about this. Being too intrusive with messages is not a very good
thing for app to have.

Cheers,
Dmitry.