[Kde-games-devel] KPatience theme.svg

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:21:08 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Parker Coates wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Sean wrote:
>>> Is there any chance we can have this format svgz instead of svg?
>>>
>>> It's going to save 1.1Mb in size if we can use svgz.
>>
>> At one point there was some discussion of storing the SVGs as plain
>> text (to give readable diffs) and then using a script to convert them
>> to SVGZ at build time along with some other optimisations. Did anyone
>> ever look any further into that? Did Luciano have a prototype script
>> written?
>
> Well, I have a Qt program rather than a script, that removes some of the
> elements that are not needed for proper rendering. Actually, my latest
> version goes a bit too far, but it should be easy enough to comment
> out the wrong optimization.
>
> It removes quite a lot of unneeded tags; many transformations do not
> actually hinder further editing, though some do to various degrees. A
> few of the transformations are in line with what inkscape is supposed
> to do in the upcoming version.
>
> In any case, an old version of the svg optimizer is here... not sure
> is a good one, though.
>
> http://www.cirulla.net/listing/kde_stuff/svgoptimize-0.3.tar.bz2
>
> I'll try to dig out the sources and post them somewhere...
> If there is interest, I could put it up in SVN somewhere.

I think it would makes sense to upload it to playground/games to let
people play around with it. Provided your script works as advertised,
the real challenge would be to integrate it into the CMake build
system.

> Oh, there was also the png-to-svn deck script, but that needs to run
> once only...

Is there any reason we haven't proceeded with this? I think it'd be
great if we could remove support for PNG based decks in 4.3 as this
only clutters up an complicates the card selection dialog. I imagine
it would also allow us to remove a lot of code from KCardCache as
well. Personally, I don't think all of the PNG decks are really worth
converting to SVG, but I guess that's a separate topic.

Could you upload that script to playground as well?

> And inkscape could be used to make svn encode the png files afterwards.

I don't really understand what you mean here.

Thanks,

Parker