[Kde-games-devel] When will background be configurable? (was: Kpat and card style chooser)

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Nov 19 00:17:22 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 November 2008, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 19:05, Matthew Woehlke
>
> <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Parker Coates wrote:
> >> I personally think the independent selection of card fronts and backs
> >> is a simple case of over customisability. When buying a real deck of
> >> cards, you're pretty much stuck choosing the front and back at the
> >> same time.
> >
> > I still don't like making fronts and backs inseparable. What about
> > standardizing on some common sizes, and restricting the choice of backs
> > to those matching the "shape" of the deck? You can still do "unusual"
> > decks; they just won't have many choices of back. But "standard"-sized
> > decks can have many choices. (And a back can provide more than one
> > "shape", of course.)
>
> I agree that restricting the user to defaults is a bad thing. Offering some
> defaults is fine, but even on old Windows versions, you could pick and
> mix your own cards.

But (I suppose) old Windows versions had simple bitmap card decks with a
precisely specified card size. This is not the case for KDEGames.

If we want to offer more variety it's still possible, and the deck will work
and be consistently.

Currently, I get my Tigullio cards stretched to be the same size the default
back is; and the card corner is very a very bad match. I can't see how someone
could want to mix the two styles.