[Kde-games-devel] When will background be configurable? (was: Kpat and card style chooser)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 18 19:05:13 CET 2008

Parker Coates wrote:
> I personally think the independent selection of card fronts and backs
> is a simple case of over customisability. When buying a real deck of
> cards, you're pretty much stuck choosing the front and back at the
> same time.

True, but the fronts of most "real life" card decks are much more
similar than what we have, while the array of choices of backs is huge.

I still don't like making fronts and backs inseparable. What about
standardizing on some common sizes, and restricting the choice of backs
to those matching the "shape" of the deck? You can still do "unusual"
decks; they just won't have many choices of back. But "standard"-sized
decks can have many choices. (And a back can provide more than one
"shape", of course.)

> It also seems a bit odd that in KPat 4.2 you can choose
> card backs independently, but not the background image which is
> something I would assume a lot more people would be interested in
> customising.

I've been complaining about that for some time :-). I want my leaf back
:-). I also want the option for a "green felt" background, and possibly
even the original "neutral gray" background. And I'm sure others will
come up with more great backgrounds... if only you could actually use them.

> Of course, if we're in the process of unifying decks, then maybe it
> makes sense to also include backgrounds and transition from "decks" to
> "themes". It works for our other games, why not for our card games?
> For example, the current default background looks very nice when
> combined with the Royal Jolly deck, but looks a bit odd when combined
> with one of the cleaner, simpler decks like, say, Nicu Ornamental.
> Letting deck designers choose their backgrounds seems pretty
> reasonable to me.

...but then you /remove/ that choice from the user. IMO there's a reason
our mahjong games didn't go this route.

(Given it-s's comment, I guess I should add that, while I've fiddled
with the themes, I'm not otherwise a kpat developer, though I do play it
quite a bit :-).)

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!