[Kde-games-devel] [Fwd: Re: kbackgammon]

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 21 01:19:41 CEST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008 04:56 pm, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Date: 	Mon, 19 May 2008 10:18:34 -0700
> From: 	Daren Sawkey <daren at sawkey.net>
> It's good to hear you are interested in patching and maintaining
> kbackgammon. Please go ahead. You are right, I have no time for it now.
>
> I seem to recall the main problem I had was the with fibs. The graphics
> needed to be ported to qt4, but somehow that would interfere with fibs.
> I don't remember the details. I did write a qt4 based backgammon program
> without fibs, but the kdegames crowd wanted to keep kbackgammon with
> fibs. Makes it odd that they've gotten rid of kbackgammon entirely now
> though...

Not at all ... in fact the boot is on the other foot.  KDE Games was one of
the few modules that did get a lot of applications into the KDE 4.0 release
(about 24 of them if I recall) and that was of great value to the core
developers during the launch of KDE 4.0 (I've heard *that* from the
horse's mouth).  Otherwise what demos would they have shown people?

As the deadline approached, we had to get tough about what would be
in the release and what would not, and it was essential that each game
should have somebody working on it at the time.  If any one of us had
had the time or the experience to step in and take over work on
KBackgammon, me included, we would have.  It is an important member
of the KDE Games set and one of the World's classic games.

Daren, your work on getting it as far as you did is deeply appreciated
and will provide an excellent foundation for Alexander's work.

KBackgammon will ride again!  Thanks to you and Alexander.  And,
of course, it is still active in KDE 3.5, and that version can be run in
KDE 4.0.

All the best, Ian W.