[Kde-games-devel] Ksudoku, Kubrik 3D background

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 17 05:29:52 CEST 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:22 am, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> <snip>

Hi Matthew,

Thank you very, very much for all of your useful advice on
how to draw a background in OpenGL.  I had indeed never
considered that you could mix 2-D and 3-D in one scene.

Your help is very much appreciated.  I'll give these ideas a
try in a week or two, after the upcoming deadlines.

Eugene ... Did you get all that?  It looks as though any kind of
background artwork would work, provided it has an aspect ratio
similar to a Kubrick window.  And it can be padded out to the next
power of 2 just by rendering the SVG into an image with empty edges.

I think perspective might be the only other problem, so the
background could be perspective-free (like real-life wallpaper)
or we could work at matching the cube's perspective and your
drawing perspective.  I'll try things out further with some
backgrounds from current games and let you know how it looks.

Luciano, Thanks for the link.  Maybe we could change KGoldrunner
over to OpenGL 2-D ... < grins wickedly at Mauricio :-) >.

All the best, Ian W.