[Kde-games-devel] generic names in .desktop files

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Wed May 14 11:40:15 CEST 2008

Hello,

You'll find below my contribution to the ideas.

In fact, the generic name for KsirK (Risk computerized) is also bad as it is
based on a registered name. Why do you think about:
"Conquer the world strategy game" or
"Turn-based Conquer-the-world strategy game" ?

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 09:12:47 Ian Wadham wrote:
> I have just changed and committed new GenericName texts for
> KGoldrunner, KJumpingCube and Kubrick which are intended to
> appear in future menus, though I have been unable to test them
> as I have not yet succeeded in building a fully-functional KDE 4
> desktop on my machine.
>
> I am not too sure of the description for KGoldrunner (GenericName
> HAS to be the wrong term for this).  It is rather difficult to summarise
> KGoldrunner in 5 or 6 words.  Any feedback or ideas, anyone?
Yes, it's difficult. Maybe something like that: "Puzzle solving while running
game". It tries to put in front the solving part while saying that this is a
very dynamic arcade game...

> More feedback from me below, on Aaron's topic in general.
>
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 04:23 am, Matt Williams wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 April 2008 18:44:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > what it comes down to, essentially, is that the generic names for many
> > > of our games are rather unhelpful to the user. having N "Boardgame"
> > > entries show up isn't overly great.
> > >
> > > i'd love to get this cleaned up for 4.1 a bit if we can.
>
> We have about a week before the Message Freeze, guys.
>
> > I think description names are useful. Here's the list in kdegames at
> > present with "<Name>: <GenericName>" (note, <name> isn't always
> > the binary name):
> >
> > Ones that are Fine IMO: <snip>
> >
> > KPatience: Patience Card Game
>
> Since KDE uses US English (shudder :-)) kpat should be
> called "Solitaire Card Games".
yes.

> > <snip>
> > Ones that might need improving:
> >
> > KBounce: Ball Bouncing Game
I feel this one good but why not: "Bouncing balls trapping game" ?

> > KGoldrunner: Action & Puzzle Solving Game
> > Konquest: Galactic Strategy Game
I feel this one good. It's a strategy game and the space playfield is its
distinctive feature.

> > KSpaceDuel: Space Arcade Game
> > KBlackBox: Blackbox Logic Game
> >
> > Bad ones:
> >
> > KJumpingCube: Tactical Game
> > Kolor Lines: Tactical Game
> > SameGame: Board Game
> > ksudoku: Sudoku Game
This one is good. No need to have something else than Sudoku as a description.

That's all for now.

--
KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer