[Kde-games-devel] Possible GSoC project

Andreas Beckermann b_mann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 28 12:56:09 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Guy Van den Broeck wrote:
> I'm sorry but I can´t seem to find any contact info on Andi Beckermann.
> Could someone point him to this thread or send me his info?

Sure, I could do that ;-)
(I am only skimming through mails usually, but my name in the first 2-3 lines
usually catches my attention)

> thanks
>
> 2008/3/25, Ian Wadham <ianw2 at optusnet.com.au>:
> > > I appreciate your honest evaluation. I only want to do this if the
> > > community supports it, and if they do, I want to work very hard to
> >
> > achieve
> >
> > > the goals. CSPoker is a long-term project for me and that will
> > > hopefully include a KDE port.
> >
> > It is possible, if KPoker returns from .../playground, that it could
> > co-exist peacefully with your CSPoker KDE client for a while.  There is
> > not a lot of overlap or duplication at present.  Maybe a merger of
> > functionality could eventually occur.

I am working on KPoker every now and then, but don't really have much time for
it I'm afraid. That I'm not really a poker fan doesn't make things easier :-)
Especially the GUI is still a lot of work (I am not really impressed by
QGraphicsView, btw) and therefore I wouldn't expect much soon.

> > But don't tread on Andi Beckermann's toes.  He is one of the
> > founders of the KDE Games group and co-author of one of my "bibles",
> > "Open Source Game Development", by Martin Heni and Andreas
> > Beckermann, Charles River Media, 2006.
> >
> > If Andi is willing and has the time, I could not think of a better person
> > to be your GSoC mentor.

I think I have neither the time required nor the expertise. I haven't been
extremely active on kde-games-devel for quite a while and I've only ported a
few apps to Qt4 so far, I don't have a "major" project of my own that uses
Qt4 or even KDE4 currently.
Also the KDE infrastructure changed quite a bit in ways that I am not entirely
familiar with - but I believe there are enough people on this list who are
capable of mentoring :-) kde-games-devel has become pretty active after all
(yay!)

CU
Andi