[Kde-games-devel] KSnakeDuel as a GSoC project?

Alan Alpert alanalpert at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 26 13:00:44 CET 2008

Hello,

I am a student interested in applying for Google Summer of Code and one of my ideas was reviving KSnakeDuel(Formerly KTron) for KDE4. It seems though that simply porting an app from KDE3 to KDE4 would not be a three month full-time project, and I would be interested in any advice you might have, including whether this is a good idea for a GSoC application and whether my assumption that simply porting it wouldn't be enough is correct.

I could add another KSnakeDuel related task onto my GSoC application to go with the porting but I'm not sure what more the game needs. I have plenty of crazy ideas, such as a single player story mode, 3D variant, arbitrary (probably integer) number of snakes, handicapping systems, LAN multiplayer, user-defined snake textures and user-defined polygons for snake shape. I am somewhat concerned however that simply throwing crazy stuff into the program might detract from its current simple charm without actually making the game any better.

Any advice on what would be sensible to add in to a GSoC application for porting KSnakeDuel to get it to be about three months of coding, or just opinions on which (if any) of my crazy ideas are not all that crazy, even when said aloud, would be greatly appreciated.

--
Alan Alpert