[Kde-games-devel] Kapman

Pierre-Benoit Besse besse.pb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:00:33 CET 2008

> Actually, I'd be happy to share ideas, especially with anyone that wants
> to take a crack at an oxygen-style player or ghost...
 Someone reacted on a post about kapman on Ervin's blog :
http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2008/02/pac-man-baddies-with-inkscape-clipart.html
There is a lot of ghosts images there which could be used with little
changes, and all free to use

> > Agreed ! Waiting for artists ! :)
> Um... working on it? (But see above.)
I did not forget you ;) but others could be interrested too and we had not
seen your oxygen-like work yet (which looks great to me)

> Turn off the player animation ;-). That fixed the performance problems
> for me. (In the long run, pixmap caching should solve this, right now
> the main problem I've observed is that the svg is re-rendered every time
> the frame changes.)
In fact I forgot it but there is another thing which can slow down the game
: having it sized too big.
It's a bug we know for a while but we haven't been able to solve yet.
I've tried anew this evening and there is something like a x2 factor on
speed between a too-big sized window and a rightly-sized one.
Talking about that, we would greatly appreciate any help :)

> In the "Traditional" algorithm the enemies just try to get to the same
> horizontal row as the hero and only then try to move horizontally to
> get to the hero.  That's really dumb, but allows for puzzle possibilities
> in higher levels and for getting the enemies to work *for* you.
Actually, AI on kapman is not totally random but works more or less like
that (ghosts won't turn when the kapman is on the same line/column as them
and there is no walls between them).
But I agree it's hardly noticable because they go back to random as soon as
the kapman is out of sight, and you can use it to make them come close
before eating an energyzer :)

P.S : And a happy birthday to you :P

Pierre-Benoit