[Kde-games-devel] Game status view

Eugene Trounev eugene.trounev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:50:29 CEST 2008

begin Rant {
I have been fighting the hideous atrocity that is 'status bar' for as long as
I'm a part of KDEGames. To date, sadly enough, my lamentations have been
largely ignored.
} end Rant
The problem with the status bar runs much deeper then might appear at the
first glance. For example: start Kbattleship, choose single player game, and
then try to *guess* what to do next. Well? Bingo! All the instructions are on
the status bar. Chances that an average user will ever find those are slim to
none. And Kbattleship is not alone.
So the real problem is not simply showing the *irrelevant* information in the
status bar, the problem is that the newcomers and seasonal KDEGames coders see
this behavior, dim it acceptable, and use it to display ALL the ingame
information, regardless the importance.
Now, I do not propose to remove the status bar per say, I just want the games
to be playable by average users.

If you wish to fix this problem for the games you maintain, go ahead, you have
my full support.

Best regards,

Eugene
[it-s]