[Kde-games-devel] New AI - direction to making some games more "serious"?

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:17:57 CEST 2008

Hi guys!

Today I was approached by Inge on IRC and he wanted to know if kdegames would be
interested in improving some games' AI to be more professional.

For those of you who don't know Inge - he maintained KReversi and serveral other
games and made numerous contributions to kdegames module in its kde3 times :)

Inge said that he has some well-crafted AI code at hands and he is willing to share
it with kdegames if we all are interested in that.

New AI would bring new possibilities (like time driven thinking, world-class AI
engines, solid solution finding etc), but on the other hand this might make some of
kdegames to shift from "being easy to beat, play to just kill some time" to "become
more tough, equipped with strong AI" area.

So Inge would like to know if this is a direction we want to move.
The games in question would be at least KReversi and KFourInLine (what about Bovo,
btw?) and perhaps some others in future.

Personally I think that we should try Inge's AI and try to make "professional vs
newbie" be configurable.

But what do others think?

Inge is subscribed to the list, so I guess he'll be able to correct me if I was wrong
anywhere and perhaps elaborate a little if he has something to add.

Cheers,
Dmitry.