[Kde-games-devel] Card deck selection?

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Jan 2 14:40:33 CET 2008

Luciano just raised the issue about removing some of the more outdated
card decks from the standard selection for 4.0, and putting them on
kde-look.org for now, and in our games KNewStuff server in the future.
Back in one of our meetings (November?) I think we agreed that we had
too many cardsets, specially the old ones, and that we would cut the
selection to maybe 10-12: the SVG ones and 4-5 of the more traditional
pixmap versions, including the german ones necessary for lskat.
However, no one acted on this.

We currently have 19 decks:

8 SVG ones (including one named SVG-Broken :))
11 PNG ones

Talking with Luciano with IRC to narrow down the selection according to
what we discussed in the meetings, we propose to remove:

 From SVG sets:
SVG-Broken (for obvious reasons, including that it is translated to most
languages already with this name)

 From PNG sets:
Bonded (too blurry, and very similar to standard)
Blue Balloon ( also very similar to standard)
Dondorf (we have a better Dondorf in SVG)
Spaced (could live in kde-looks, we have another one with Penguins)
Hard a Port (blurry, not very nice looking)
Aisleriot (basic but looks blurry in lskat for example, oxygen-white is
similarly simple and much better)

So for PNG we would keep the two XSkat png ones (German and French), two
themed ones that are popular with kids/teens (Konqi and Penguim), and
the standard set used in KDE3.

As for backgrounds, we all know several of the png ones are not too
pretty, or very limited in appeal. We propose a cleaner default set, as
we are in the start of a long cycle, and will soon have KNewStuff
servers where these can live. The intention is to keep all the (few) SVG
ones we have for now, but cut most of the PNG ones. We could keep:

Classic Blue
Classic Red
Modern Red
Grandma
Konqi (to match the frontside)
Penguim (to match the frontside)
Tristan (matches German/French XSkat frontsides)

The end result is that we would ship 12 decks, 7 SVG and 5 PNG ones,
which we think is a very good selection, and represents the best we
have, without being too drastic in our cutting exercise.

If there are no strong objections, we will do this in 24 hours, as there
is the need for .desktop files to be regenerated.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini