[Kde-games-devel] Crash in Kpat at startup

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Jan 2 14:03:15 CET 2008

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Hi. I am getting a crash at startup on KPat when trying to launch it in
> a localized version of KDE:
>
> KDE_LANG=pt_BR kpat
..
> Anyone able to reproduce or help me investigate this?

I traced this to a problem when the base directory for carddecks points
to a non-existing location. In my case it happened as I have a mixed
KDE3-4 environment, so some KDE3 settings are inherited if a
corresponding rc file is not found in the KDE4 paths (searched first for
this user.)
So it should be pretty rare (I think). Or not, many people will probably
run variations of KDE3/4 mixed environments, or share their home
directoris and config files.
Anyway, I committed a fix to at least avoid the crash in this case, and
create a fake card with a red X on it. The game can continue and will
work if the user configures a new card deck. After the string freeze is
lifted we can come up with an appropriate error message prompting the
user to select a new deck immediately to continue.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini