[Kde-games-devel] Games theme installer

Sat Feb 16 13:45:50 CET 2008

CCing kde-devel because of what I say down below, also quoting full
parent for same reason.

2008/2/15 Eugene Trounev <eugene.trounev at gmail.com>:

> Hi guys,

> Just a small suggestion here. Is there any way someone could write a small app
> that would do following:
> Say there is theme.kgth file which is actually a .gz file containing :
> theme.kgth
>        -theme/
>                ... theme files
>        -index.desktop
>
> 1) the app registers the kgth extention with kde extention handler, athen when
> user double clicks on theme file, the app is called.
> 2) app unpacks theme file onto temporary dir and reads index.desktop which
> contains description to the theme in theme/ directory, namely it tells the
> app where to copy files.
> 3) app copies the files exactly as index.desktop has it*.

While this is true for most everything you download and execute from the
Internet, this opens you for abuse. What's more, people will not expect a mere
theme file to be able to do this (I know even I wouldn't). There would
need to be
constraints & a sandbox.

> * if XYZ destination directory doesn't exist installer should create it. If it
> contains the same files already they should be replaced.

Possibly breaking existing themes. A dirty fix would be to put everything into
uuid-named directories. A better fix would use game name, theme name and
version.

Isn't this situation what KHotNewStuff2 is for, though? Wouldn't it make sense
to work on enhancing KHotNewStuff2 with whatever you need so the rest of
KDE benefits, as well?

Which makes me wonder if KHotNewStuff2 is sandboxed and/or allows
applications to define what kind of changes and where they are allowed.

Richard