[Kde-games-devel] Online highscores in GGZ

Tue Feb 12 00:04:19 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 12:41 AM, Andreas Røsdal <andreasr at gnome.org> wrote:

> In gnome-games we are discussing online highscores,
> which could possibly be implemented in GGZ.
> Please take a look at this bugreport:

Online high scores invite, I would even say demand, cheating. Throw in some
source code and you have a very bad situation.

Karma systems are bound to fail as, apart from a few islands of trust, you have
no chance to create a global karma network. Add to that the frustration for new
players. Finally, consider who would best be able to create karma networks:
Cheaters.

The best one could hope for, imo, is to upload vouched-for scores by people
known within the KDE community as reference. And even then, you would not
be save against cheating..

Richard