[Kde-games-devel] Get high with KHighscores! (review of highscore system in kdegames)

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuzkde at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:03:33 CET 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 15:43:34 Ian Wadham wrote:
> High scores should be put in a separate file in the game's "data" area,
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/<appname>.  This is to protect high scores from
> being wiped out by any sort of testing or re-installation of software.  For
> example, I have frequently had to delete
> $KDEHOME/share/config/kgoldrunnerrc during testing.
I perfectly agree here. I suffered from this several times during our way to
KDE4 :) I had a dream to complete all katomic levels, but my config with
highscores occasionally got erased (during some cleanups needed for
environment) and I started several times all over, and then got tired of
seeing same levels again and again :) Perhaps I'll start again sometime :)).

> Also, I would like to see some enhancements to KHighscore or its
> replacement:
>   - Option to seed the high score data with some existing scores, as a
>      challenge to new players ... ;-)
Great! I vote for this too.

>   - Option to supply a nice heading and sub-heading (see attachment
>      KGrHS_KDE4.0.png for an example).
>   - Nicer table and headings layout.
>   - Single-spacing of the lines in the table.
>   - No lines of dashes for empty scores.
>   - Neater alignment of headings and data, especially days of week
>      and dates (neither attachment is good in this respect).
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes (I hope I didn't miss some point ;) )
Actuall KGr's dialog looks cool :) Perhaps we should do smth like this.

>   - Option either to display one set of high scores and omit the tabs,
>      or to supply separate group IDs and group names: the IDs to be
>      used as keys (group names) for high score data and the names
>      (translated) to be displayed to the end-user on the tabs.
... and yes :)

I think we should start a wiki page collecting these ideas...
Will do that when I find some time.

Thanks for very useful comments, Ian!

Cheers,
Dmitry.