[Kde-games-devel] Open Source Go server and software

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Feb 4 09:33:06 CET 2008

Am Sonntag 03 Februar 2008 15:22:24 schrieb Josef Spillner (KDE):
> From my experience, Chess and Go players have very high expectations of
> online games and it's not easy to provide a server infrastructure which
> they like. But nevertheless we should try to overcome the legacy
> protocols and architectures. Of course this is slightly out of scope for
> kdegames.

Small addition:

There's qgo written in Qt which isn't as feature-rich as CGoBan in some
aspects (such as plugging in external players), but it could serve as a start
for a user-friendly client. Right now, it still expects the user to
understand IRC-like interfaces to some extent. This is why I selectively
mentioned Chess and Go above: Both have multiplayer groups ranking back to
times where IRC-like interfaces were considered state of the art. They also
provide standardised protocols (XBoard, UCI and GMP/GTP) as well as
standardised savegame formats (PGN and SGF, both are terrible IMO but they
exist). In comparison, newer communities such as Spades players, who seem to
have a larger userbase due to easier rules and more web games available, have
neither and would not accept such clients.

Josef