[Kde-games-devel] Kapman sprite system (also, connecting-tiles systems)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 10 20:44:57 CET 2008

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> a) Had you looked at the KGlEngine specs? Maybe collaborate with these guys?

Possibly. By the name, I take it that's GL-based, though? Given that I
have no GL on one machine, that could be... difficult.

I'm not sure how related they are, though. I would guess they don't have
a tiling engine, and the two things I am looking at are that and a frame
extraction system (and since I'm apparently the only one that thinks the
latter is worthwhile...). Getting into actual animation probably there
will be some overlap; that might be a good time to see if animation can
be split from the graphics backend (always a good idea).

> c) Write the frameworks AND a new game to use it at the same time, in
> playground. This could help you experiment with both the art/maze code
> and the animation one at your own pace, and hopefully with reusability
> in mind. Then if people find it useful it would go into libkdegames. I
> think KTank was started this way, as a proving ground for what is now
> shaping up as KGLEngine, right?

Tile code doesn't need experimenting, I've already done it, it works
:-). It just needs to be a: dusted off, and b: extracted from Kapman.

(I snipped that part, but) I might even start the tiling engine in
KSame, since as you say it's a clear case of both having a need for the
engine. Right now I'm poking at Kapman because I've got a theme already
to use as fodder for testing.

Also, to do KSame tiling first, if I've already done Kapman sprite
stuff, will need either to put the frame-extracting code in library form
early or just copy the code. Probably either one is okay to do, we
shouldn't be talking about large amounts of code.

> What I do not think wise is to attempt to force the framework design to
> be adopted by other games before it is ready. We end up in the land of
> speculation and personal preferences, and no productive work being
> churned out. KGoldRunner for example could potentially benefit from your
> ideas, but it has undergone several rewrites and I think Ian/Luciano and
> me are not up to yet another API change, at least for now ... :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I certainly would not push something like this
out everywhere without it working in at least one game first :-).

--
Matthew
"Who wants to sing?" -- Orcs (Warcraft II)