[Kde-games-devel] Tiled graphic (was kdegames maintainer list update)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 8 22:59:58 CET 2008

mikelima at gmail.com wrote:
> I pretty much want to implement some sort of tiled graphics in
> KGoldrunner

I think that would be an awesome idea :-D.

> and I think it would be a great idea in the Pacman
> game, but that's not my call.

Good luck with that. I tried way back when the game was young, and got
rejected. But I agree it would be great; no more being limited to
exactly one maze or having to do individual graphics for all mazes
(which clearly would never fly with KGr).

> I hope to be able to do so without so many tiles, otherwise theme
> creators will hate me! :)

Bleh, the effort is overrated. Most themes are either going to benefit
from a full tile set (by having unique graphics for each tile) or
involve a lot of quick copy-paste. Or both :-).

IMO it helps to do position-based tiles instead of id-based tiles.
They're by definition all the same size, and it's a pain to have to
assign id's to everything (more so when you start needing transparent
objects to get the size correct).

I like the idea (see my latest message in the original thread) of doing
this as a library...

(And let me know if you're interested enough that I should dig out my
tile code...)

--
Matthew
"Do you do windows as well?"